My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Wise Innocent

Icon finalist Mr. Ken Min created this revelatory portrait of Mariela as Mona Lisa, a classic redefined by a landscape both lavish and whimsical, with birds escaping the borders of the frame. Surely, this wise innocent will transcend her two dimensions at any moment!

Mr. Min was born in Seoul, South Korea -- and now works for Lucasfilm as an artist. He created this oil painting on a cryptic panel, with vintage victorian fabric and an old door hinge and frame.

Thank you for this beautiful piece, Mr. Min!


1 comment: