My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Thursday, October 27, 2022

Email Sent to Viktor Goldmakher October 27, 2022

Sent to: vgoldmakher@gmail.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com Date: October 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM

Re:  Next steps for Gansett summer 2023

Viktor, I think it would be best if you canceled the check you sent via certified mail.

I regret that inconvenience, but I think it represents the wisest course of action at this time.

Rather than having you send me anything further through the mail, I would suggest that you wire the rental payment to my bank, Wells Fargo.  That way, it can be directly deposited into the Trust account.  If you agree to this approach, I will call the bank and obtain the specifics you require.

After that, we can correspond about any remaining concerns.

Viktor, I know that you and your family have enjoyed the rental of my home at 40 Gansett Rd. for many years.  You have expressed to me that you love the private locale, the proximity to the Woods Hole Science School, and the private beach for your grandchildren.

Jay Gans consistently tells me that you have a lovely family.

I always believe that honest and ethical people can overcome the vast majority of obstacles that arise.

You have always communicated to me that you view me as an honest and ethical person, and, in turn, you have always presented yourself to me as an honest and ethical tenant.

So, in this spirit of open communication and trust, I look forward to next steps in arranging for the summer of 2023 at 40 Gansett.

Many thanks,

Lane MacWilliams

********************************************************************************

Previous Email Communications with Viktor Goldmakher:

Sent to: vgoldmakher@gmail.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com Date: October 24, 2022 at 9:49 PM

Viktor, hi,

I will go into further detail.  But first, could you please confirm for me the exact and complete contents of your mailing? 

I am assuming that you sent the signed rental agreement and your signed statement, both of which you have now provided to me via email, along with the rental check due November 1, 2022 for  $11,340.

I am further assuming that you sent nothing else whatsoever in this mailing.

Is this correct? 

Thank you for clarifying,

Lane

****************************************

Sent to: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. From: vgoldmakher@gmail.com. Date: October 25, 2022 at 3:14 AM

Hi Lane,

Yes, this is exactly what I sent you, nothing else.  Do you really believe that I am trying to do something sneaky?  Not at all.  Everything is fine.  You just need to go to the post office and retrieve the letter or they will make a couple of more attempts to deliver it and if you are not in they may send it back to me.  USPS became much worse than it used to be.

Best,

Viktor

**************************************

Sent to: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com From vgoldmakher@gmail.com Date: October 25, 2022 at 3:26 AM

Lane, do not worry, the letter most likely is at the post office, and you will retrieve it from there, just don't delay, or they could send it back to me.  Worst comes to worst, this is what will happen.  In this case I can resend you everything including a duplicate check by a regular first-class letter, and then there will be no problem with delivery and it will be cheaper.  I can do it soon.

Viktor

**************************************

Sent to: vgoldmakher@gmail.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. Date:  October 25, 2022 at 7:06 AM

Re:  Certified Mailing Followup

Viktor, thank you very much for your emails.

Please do not send a replacement check or any other materials at this time.

Let's see what happens with regard to the certified mailing first.

Thank you for your patience,

Lane MacWilliams

**************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment