My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, January 2, 2023

UPDATE: Tim Duffany's Unauthorized Visit to 40 Gansett Rd. Woods Hole, MA

UPDATE:

OIG Hotline investigators, I would request your assessment of the facts within the timeline below.  Given the extensive arson threats I have received pertaining to my family home at 40 Gansett Rd., Woods Hole, MA, I am concerned that Jay Gans' and Tim Duffany's actions may potentially correspond to criminal malfeasance directed by far right factions of the FBI.

I would appreciate your assessment of this circumstance, and, if you feel it is warranted, your intervention.

Thank you for all you are doing on behalf of our democracy and those who honor it, myself decidedly among them.

With appreciation,




Lane MacWilliams

Email sent to: timduffany58@gmail.com, jaygans@juno.com. Date: January 2, 2023 at 2:27 PM

To Jay Gans and Tim Duffany:

Gentlemen, in reconstructing the timeline with Ken, events appear to have transpired in the following order:

1. December 26, 2022 -- Jay Gans asked permission by text message for Tim Duffany to visit 40 Gansett.

2. December 26, 2022 -- In response to Jay Gans by text message, I declined to have Tim Duffany visit the property.

3.  December 27, 2022, 8:00 a.m. -- Despite my written response of the day prior, Jay Gans called Ken MacWilliams on his cell phone (408) 667-0102 to ask again whether Tim Duffany could visit 40 Gansett.  Ken deferred to my authority over the property, stating that he would "ask my thoughts."

4. December 27, 2022, approximately 8:30 a.m. -- Ken relayed the content of this phone conversation to me, and I communicated that I had declined all permission to have Tim Duffany visit the property, explaining that I had already communicated this refusal by text the day before.

5.  December 27, 2022 -- Tim Duffany visited the MacWilliams' property at 40 Gansett Rd., in direct contravention of my written refusal of his services.  Jay Gans appears to have been present on the property at the time of this visit.

6.  December 27, 2022 -- late afternoon/evening -- Jay Gans and Tim Duffany called Ken MacWilliams on the MacWilliams' home line of (650) 851-1081 in order to explain that Tim visited the home, evaluated the furnace and entered the crawl space of the property in order to assess the old fuel oil tank located underneath the house.  Tim then proceeded to explain to Ken that HVAC repairs were not his speciality, and therefore, he was unqualified to address the needs at hand.

7.  December 29, 2022 -- Tim Duffany left a voicemail on Ken MacWilliams' cell phone to confirm that he had received my check for $600.  He implied that he was owed money for additional unnamed services, but then appeared to waive the demand for payment.

8.  December 31, 2022 -- I emailed Tim Duffany to thank him for his confirmation of receipt of my check and to again request an invoice for his services.  I specifically mentioned that his voice message seemed to allege that my check for his services in 2022 did not cover some other service.  I requested to know what service he was referring to.  Tim Duffany provided no response to these queries.

9.  January 2, 2023 -- Ken and I were able to piece together the timeline of events.

Gentlemen, it would appear to me that your FBI handlers were determined that Tim Duffany should gain access to the crawl space of 40 Gansett, despite my written refusal to have him visit the property.

Given the extensive and ongoing arson threats I have received pertaining to 40 Gansett, I am concerned about the actions Tim Duffany's handler may have instructed him to take while underneath the house.  Certainly, fuel oil is flammable and Tim appears to have accessed the old fuel oil tank, which, I am told, contains an oil residue or "sludge" that can be explosive when exposed to flame.

Beyond this, any sabotage of the fuel oil tank which would lead to a spill of hazardous material on the property could have devastating effects on the property's long-term value.

I believe your communications with your FBI handlers should be evaluated by investigators in order to ascertain whether unlawful directives were extended to one or both of you.

I would ask that neither of you destroy your cell phones or attempt to delete messaging records in any form.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

Lane MacWilliams

(A screenshot of this email appears at the end of this post.)

************************************************************************************

Email sent to: jaygans@juno.com, timduffany58@gmail.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. Date: January 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM

Re: Tim Duffany's Unauthorized Visit to 40 Gansett Rd., Woods Hole Last Week

To Jay Gans and Tim Duffany:

Gentlemen, I attach herewith two screenshots of text communications in which Jay and I engaged one week ago today, Monday, December 26, 2022.

At 9:40 a.m. that morning, Jay texted that a plumber from Mr. Rooter had stated the the furnace was not working at 40 Gansett due to a problem with a small electric motor.  He followed by saying "Tim says he could check it out and make repairs....Should I ask him to repair it?  Please let me know."

At 1:10 p.m. that same afternoon, I answered him by saying, simply, "No to Tim at this time."

Following my determination to decline Tim Duffany's services in repairing the furnace, he visited the house anyway on a date and time unknown to me.

After that visit, both of you called my husband Ken to state that Tim had looked at both the furnace and the old oil tank in the crawl space of the home and felt unqualified to make the necessary repairs, as HVAC was not his specialty.

As a result of this unauthorized and unexplained visit to the property, I need to ask you both to respond to certain questions:

1.  On whose authority did Tim Duffany visit 40 Gansett Rd. after I expressed to Jay Gans that he should not do so?

2.  Did his FBI handler instruct him to make this trip to 40 Gansett?

3.  Did his FBI handler direct him to take any destructive actions while inside the house, the basement, or the crawl space of the residence?

4.  Due to the fact that I am in receipt of myriad threats from FBI affiliates pertaining to arson at 40 Gansett and referencing incendiary devices, I must ask whether Tim Duffany placed any devices of any kind while at 40 Gansett.

5.  Further, did Tim Duffany cause any damage to fuel lines, plumbing lines, electrical lines or other utilities while at 40 Gansett without permission?

I must state that I recognize that the FBI extends threats to "informants" in order to compel their compliance.  I do understand that those threats can leave "informants" feeling as though they have no choice but to accede to FBI personnel's demands.

At the same time, perhaps your consciences are troubled by having followed the directives of your FBI handlers, particularly given that I stand as a whistleblower of the FBI's "insider threat" to our democracy.

I do wish to point out that, although corrupt law enforcement figures can sometimes obscure this fact, we are all responsible for what we do.  All of us.  Whole and separate liability for any arson event that occurs at 40 Gansett may immediately fall to you both, alongside your FBI handlers.

Beyond this, for those of us who love democracy, we must not fail to understand that its survival requires our ready defense of one another as law-biding American citizens.  We are called to care about one another's civil liberties and human rights as passionately as we care about our own.  This generosity of spirit is necessary for our country, not optional.  We need to insist on one another's humanity, even and especially in the face of those who would wrongfully assert that certain Americans, as "targets of interest," ought to be preyed upon.

I'm reading a wonderful book right now entitled, They Thought They Were Free, by Milton Mayer, in which, seven years after the end of WWII the author conducts close conversations with ten "average Germans" in a small town called Kronenberg.  He wants to know how they reacted when the synagogue was burned on the night of November 9, 1938.  And beyond that, he wants to know how they reacted when all Jewsih men in Kronenberg were taken into "protective custody" the following morning due to the arson that destroyed their house of worship.  Those men never returned to their homes.  They never returned to their families.  They never returned to their hopes and dreams and labors for a better future.

They had no future.  They were killed by someone within a vast minority of the German populace (one out of seventy Germans at the time) who was actively engaged in the murder of the Jewish people.  Sixty-nine Germans out of seventy could claim that, although they may have set fire to the synagogue on November 9, 1938, although they may have stood by while it burned, although they may have said nothing while the authorities arrested their Jewish neighbors the following morning, they had nothing to do with the deaths of these innocent men.

Milton Mayer suggests to us, quite rightly, that autocratic systems require extensive complicity from the populace.

Democratic forms of government require, by contrast, that we accept responsibility for our own actions, that we extend a compassion to our neighbors that necessitates our ethical conduct toward them, and that we demonstrate courage when the enemies of democracy place our neighbors or ourselves under threat.

Because I stand for your democracy as ardently as I stand for my own, I ask you both to extend the truth to me regarding your answers to the above questions.

The truth of this matter is of import not only to me, but to all who love the civil liberties and human rights afforded to us by our Constitution.

So, let's honor it.  Let's uphold it.  Let's insist upon it.

Our democracy deserves no less.

Sincerely,

Lane MacWilliams


*************************************************************************************



************************************************************************************




 

No comments:

Post a Comment