My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, September 25, 2023

Brother, Take My Hand

OIG Hotline, just prior to twelve noon today, after an outburst, my older son embarked on a walk outside.

I followed him from approximately thirty feet behind, a safe distance, only to see him flag down a Cal Water truck, which appeared on Vista Verde Way, near our home, at precisely the time my son was leaving.

Clearly, he had spoken to this driver before.

They appeared to be well acquainted.

My son made a few statements that were inflammatory, such as "This woman is following me," while failing to acknowledge that we knew one another.

Seeing me observe the entire interaction, the Cal Water driver spoke not one word to my son, who soon walked off in exasperation.  At that point, the Cal Water driver approached me and paused his vehicle.

"My son is not having one of his best days," I offered.

"I understand completely," the Cal Water driver said.  "I have a son of my own in much the same situation.  We just take it one day at a time."

"We're certainly endeavoring to keep him safe," I said.

"I know what that's like," the Cal Water driver said.

Following this, he drove past me, climbing Vista Verde Way toward its cul de sac.  When he returned, several minutes later, he was speeding at approximately 50 mph, presumably so his plates would be hard to read.

They were indeed hard to read, and I only obtained a partial plate of the first three digits as California 823.

Having said that, Cal Water ought to be able to supply the rest of this pickup truck's license plate.

What was unusual enough about this experience for me to think investigators might wish to speak to the driver?

The driver of this Cal Water truck was highly educated, with at least one graduate degree, I would surmise.  In addition, his EQ was sky-high.  His level of intelligence, expressed empathy, education and receptivity conveyed to me clearly that he was not likely a Cal Water driver as his fundamental profession.

Nor do I think he was working for the FBI, actually.  Although FBI personnel can certainly be impressive, they typically possess certain rigid psychological structures that are easy to identify.  They prize compliance and conformity in sufficient amounts to allow them to remain in their jobs, for example, despite the ethically objectionable tasks that are assigned to them -- such as lying about law-abiding American citizens.

No, this Cal Water driver was, in my estimation, based on the few words we exchanged, a Ph.D. psychologist, likely in the employ of the CIA.

I would surmise, based on his familiarity in initially greeting my son, that he has been tasked with meeting Graham as a compassionate listener on multiple occasions, after which I would guess he has written exquisitely detailed -- and professionally astute -- witness statements for the CIA, which has, in turn, shared them with the FBI.

The FBI appears to be remaining one step removed from this deceit, although, in all likelihood, FBI personnel have orchestrated the minutest detail of these "talks."

The timing of this meeting on Vista Verde Way was nothing less than balletic, so the Cal Water truck must have been poised nearby.

When I spoke to my son later, I mentioned the unusual erudition and compassion of the Cal Water truck driver, and I observed that they appeared to know one another.

He did not contradict me, which, given my son's oppositional/defiant mindset, may be reasonably viewed as affirmation.

Certainly, it appears that the FBI  may have been working hard to coax my psychologically fragile son into a seemingly trustful confessional "friendship" with this Cal Water truck driver, in addition to others in the neighborhood who may also have "spontaneously" appeared to speak with him.

I will detail this information within an affidavit when I am able to do so.

But, I will simply say at this time that the predatory manipulation of this beloved and confused young man is deeply wrong.

Graham is likely not able to perceive when he is approached by those who intend to harm him or his family, through falsehoods or worse.

And now, due to the FBI's obstruction of treatment for his pituitary tumor, his volatility and confusion are becoming amplified, just at the time we hope we can garner greater safeguards for his medical treatment should he need to be hospitalized.

The other day, I mentioned to Graham the words of T.S. Eliot concerning men who seek to feel important in the process of harming others:

Half the harm that is done is this world is due to people who want to feel important.  They don't mean to do harm; but the harm does not interest them.  Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

What does it say when a contracted "Cal Water driver" working for a three-letter agency is cunning enough to manipulate my son's desire to feel important in the wider world?

Does it speak well of him?

What will happen to my son if he loses his parents, who love him most in the world?

Will the "Cal Water driver" attend to the treatment of his pituitary tumor?  No?  What about his Echinococcus multilocularis?  No?  What about his schistosomiasis?  No?

I'm certain the "Cal Water driver" has been told that his witness statements are "crucial."  Has he also been told that they must be true?  How about supportive to a young man and his family who are under threat from a predatory far right segment of the FBI?  How about committed to shielding a whistleblower and her family until they can access safe medical care for each and every family member, with Graham at the top of that list?

Ultimately, as law-abiding supporters of our country, we must unmake secretive, predatory programs that manipulate and harm America's most vulnerable.

Americans' humanity toward one another should never be a feigned mimicry of good faith, extended in return for a paycheck or a promotion.

Americans' humanity toward one another must be something more.

It must be an expression of our character, our good will, our generosity, our compassion, our integrity, and our kindness.

It must be an expression of our very souls, which do not care for bank accounts or Bitcoin, for duplicity or defamation.

I think Americans have the integrity to reach out to one another in times of distress and utter the words, "Brother, take my hand."

The best societies are built upon that foundation of trust and benevolence.

America's most vulnerable are worthy of that gift.




Lane MacWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment