My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Saturday, March 2, 2024

To the OIG Hotline Re: Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi

 The email below has been herewith transcribed for ease of reading.

*******************************************************************************

OIG Hotline, I wish to express that, for me, Nancy Pelosi epitomizes a leader of both fortitude and warmth.  As Speaker and as Speaker Emerita, she has led and continues to lead with a deep and nuanced understanding of the most critical issues at hand.  Yet, she always expresses her empathy and humanity as her guiding compass in relating to all.  I would wish to express at this time that I consider her an ideal of leadership, an inspired and inspiring model of the ways in which all of us, if we have developed our hearts and minds sufficiently, can relate to the wider world.

After admiring Speaker Pelosi's gifts of leadership for many, many years, I was extremely saddened by the assault on her husband.  Yet the grace and strength with which she met that crisis exemplify the grace and strength with which she meets every other.  She did not allow the most malevolent harm imaginable to obstruct her guidance to the nation.  Her faith and integrity allowed her to persevere.

Our nation remains profoundly fortunate that she continues to lead, both through her Congressional endeavors, and in many other settings.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Speaker Pelosi, but if I ever did, the first words I would speak to her would be Thank you for your advocacy.  Thank you for your belief in our nation's virtue and my own.  Thank you for your leadership and faith in guiding us forward.

Perhaps I will one day be fortunate enough to speak those words in Speaker Pelosi's presence.

In the absence of that, I hope this expression of gratitude will somehow reach her.

It is accompanied by my heartfelt admiration for her myriad and guiding gifts, so generously shared.

Most sincerely,




Lane MacWilliams



No comments:

Post a Comment