My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Saturday, November 12, 2022

Thank you.

OIG Hotline investigators, I saw my son Duncan MacWilliams this evening after having been separated from him for nearly one year as a result of the intimidation, prevarication, and malfeasance of far right segments of the FBI.  While we did not discuss the crimes of his FBI handler or your Office's investigation in any capacity whatsoever, what I will say is this:

Every loving mother hopes that her child will be free.  Free from criminal intimidation.  Free from harm.  Free from threats.  Free from fear.  Free from tyranny.  Free from predation.  Free from corrupt law enforcement.  Free from coercion.  Free from strife.

More than restoring my son to our family, you have restored him to himself.

He is, once again, the calm, loving, loyal, engaged, thoughtful, intelligent, independent young man I know so well.

Thank you seems hardly adequate, yet these are the words I have to offer you at this time.

Thank you now and thank you tomorrow and thank you every day beyond that.

Freedom.  It's a priceless gift.  Hard won at times, and irreplaceable.

With deep appreciation,




Lane MacWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment