My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Thursday, July 6, 2023

El Camino Hospital's Duty of Care

Email sent to:  patient_experience@elcaminohealth.org From: lanemacwilliams@gmaill.com. Date: July 5, 2023 at 7:15 PM

Re:  El Camino Hospital's Duty of Care

To the Management of El Camino Hospital:

My son, Graham MacWilliams, Wass hospitalized at El Camino Hospital from June 10th through 13th of this year.

During that time, I requested a liver ultrasound and his physician, Dr. Clarence Allegakoen, told us that he ordered this exam.

I have attached photos from that study herewith.  Although we were told that Graham's liver was "unremarkable," this exam demonstrates clear cystic pathology, even for a layperson.

Our search for further ultrasounds in various ER settings to immediately address Graham's severe pain have been refused because El Camino's radiologist stated -- wrongfully, I believe -- that Graham's liver ultrasound was "unremarkable."  So, his and our appropriate medical care continues to be obstructed.

For your background information, I am informed that my whole family was wrongfully exposed to a parasite called Echinococcus multilocularis.  This illnesss is primarily diagnosed through ultrasound, although elevated bilirubin, which Graham also has, is indicative of obstructive pathology in the liver and gallbladder.

I believe that El Camino Hospital was improperly influenced by a third party in conveying to us that Graham's liver was "unremarkable."  So, his and our appropriate medical care continues to be obstructed.

For your background information, I am informed that my whole family was wrongfully exposed to a parasite called Echinococcus multilocularis.  This illness is primarily diagnosed through ultrasound, although elevated bilirubin, which Graham also has, is indicative of obstructive pathology in the liver and gallbladder.

I believe that El Camino Hospital was improperly influenced by a third party in conveying to us that Graham's liver was "unremarkable," as well as in discharging Graham from the hospital when he was quite ill.

This delay in diagnosis and treatment is endangering not only Graham's life, but also the lives of our whole family.

I would ask that El Camino Hospital immediately re-engaged with Graham's care, in addition to extending immediate diagnostic and follow up care to my family members.

El Camino Hospital has a duty of care to Graham that it -- for some reason -- has failed to fulfill.  The results of that initial failure should not be allowed to become catastrophic.

Please reach out to us and offer your immediate assistance.

I may be cached by return email at lanemacwilliams@gmail.com.

Sincerely,




Lane MacWilliams

************************************************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment