My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Friday, March 31, 2023

Documenting March 30, 2023 Details at FedEx and UPS

OIG Hotline investigators, this is to document that, yesterday afternoon at the FedEx Store in Mountain View (1935 W. El Camino Real), from which I faxed two affidavits to your Office, two strangers approached me.

On one occasion, a woman who appeared to be in her thirties -- well-dressed and apparently well-educated -- presented herself as someone who had no idea how to use a copy machine and asked for my help.  I apologized in refusing her.

On another occasion, a man seated at a computer terminal next to me stated "Excuse me..."  I declined to answer him and left the store shortly afterwards.

I must state that it is difficult to turn away people ostensibly seeking help.

I am a benevolent person.

Certainly, the FBI knows this about me by now.

But my assessment is that the risks of falsified law enforcement reporting in my speaking to strangers is astronomically high at the moment.

To forestall even the potential of falsified reporting by these two individuals, my activity at the copy machine involved preparing a fresh set of affidavits for a second notary, following my experience at UPS, where I was asked to sign an extensive waiver that could have voided the first notarization's validity. (Please see my email to UPS, below)

My activity at the computer involved updating my blog and checking my email and Amazon.

I hereby certify that the foregoing is true and correct.




Lane MacWilliams

**********************************************************************************

Email sent to: store0865@theupsstore.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. Date: March 30, 2023

Re: Please refund my transaction today.

UPS Store 0865, I regret that I was unable to properly review your notary waiver form today.  The form was not provided in hard copy written form, and it was not readable online.

I do not believe it was ethical of UPS to present this document to me after notarizing my documents with a demand that I sign under duress without an opportunity to review the contents.  Your staff told me I would not be allowed to leave the store without signing this waiver.

I do not believe this meets legal standards.

As a result, I ask that you cancel my transaction with your store today, involving two notarizations of affidavits.

My waiver of UPS liability is hereby null and void.

I will follow up with my credit card company to ensure that this charge has been refunded.

If the refund fails to be registered, I will file a fraud claim with my credit card company.

Thank you for your assistance with this matter.  These documents were properly notarized later in the day with a notary who was prepared to stand by her commission.

Lane MacWilliams

************************************************************************************

Commentary:  OIG Hotline investigators, to confirm, my affidavits were later notarized by a Notary Public in Santa Clara County who followed lawful procedure, no liability waivers involved.

The affidavits that were faxed to you were lawfully executed.

I believe that UPS, on the other hand, was attempting to -- as a signatory to Infragard -- invalidate notarized documents after the fact.

This represents an astonishing betrayal of the public trust.

I have never before been asked by a Notary Public in any setting to sign a liability waiver relating to notarized documents.

I found this experience to be highly irregular, physically threatening -- given three UPS employees' statements that I would not be allowed to leave the store without signing the waiver -- and likely unlawful.

The offending UPS Store, #0865, is located at 405 El Camino Real in Menlo Park, and the phone number is 650-326-4415.

I hereby certify that the foregoing is true and correct.




Lane MacWilliams

*************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment