My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Saturday, August 12, 2023

A Letter to My Son

OIG Hotline, I am including this letter to my son here, simply because I believe that -- in the process of striving to preserve democracy -- it is critical that "targets of interest" continue to insist on their humanity.

"Targets" are not numbered fulfillments of a Phoenix quota.  They are not statistics on highly sensitive DoD data sheets.

They are people.  Irreplaceable people who care deeply for the well-being of others.

Mothers and uncles and sons and nieces and cousins and husbands and granddaughters, each immensely important to the fabric of our shared lives as Americans and as citizens of the world.

My mother always used to say, "Keep your eyes on the prize."

And what is the prize in this case?

The prize is the love we possess for one another that allows us to defend one another's freedoms with as much fortitude and insistence as we would defend our own.

That love remains, despite the far right's efforts to divide American families from their shared and lasting bonds.

I remain most sincerely yours,




Lane MacWilliams

*********************************************************************************

Email sent to: duncan412@gmail.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. Date: August 11, 2023 at 4:47 PM

Re: A Blessing

Duncan, love, what times we are experiencing from a historic perspective.

This contest between autocracy and democracy -- remarkable.

Our technologies have outpaced our ethical development as a species, to be sure, and this is part of our most pressing challenge as a society.

Sweetheart, I am told you are giving deep thought to your future.

And I just want you to know you are in my prayers regarding these momentous decisions.

A deep and abiding love within a marriage ultimately helps us to transcend ourselves -- and this is always the goal.

I grew up in a household where there was substantive and daily conflict, and I thought I would never, ever marry as a result of this.  Even still, when I walked down the aisle, I had no doubts -- there was so much unconditional love.

One foundational gift from my perspective has always been honesty -- another has been faith.  Life can be profoundly challenging at times, and we can only grow to our greatest potential if we are willing to extend the gift of truthfulness and faith to our life partner.  That takes courage -- that takes grit -- that takes a generosity of spirit going both ways -- but, when these things are present, the rewards are immense.

Your soul is the most important possession you will ever own.  Protecting and nurturing it is your most important job, bar none.

And I can say, from my vantage, that it is not always possible to protect your own spirit.  Sometimes we need others to heroically protect our spirits on our behalf, depending on the circumstances.  We cannot always be perfectly strong and self-sufficient.  So, knowing that your life partner loves you so much that she will fiercely defend your soul from any who would harm you -- this matters.  A lot.

A lot a lot.

Your father has been the guardian of my spirit at some times that were astonishingly hard -- caused by the crimes and malfeasance of some terribly lost and malevolent people.

And I have guarded him, too -- many time, in ways of which he is unaware.

Sweetheart, if the world would only bend to my will, I would make the path straight for you.

But all of our paths are winding, and around the next bend, there are surprises, discoveries, and transformations.  Life is immensely more rich if we are experiencing all of these epiphanies with a deep and empathic partner who treasures, protects and nurtures us.

The journey has many turns, but your soul knows the way.

Keep your faith in God always near to you -- and ask for guidance when you need it! (When facing a momentous decision, my friends and I used to joke that we needed an angel to appear at the door with instructions in triplicate!)

We are helped by others in many ways, young man -- and you are beloved of God, which I think you know.

In 1984 (Ah!  The year George Orwell made famous!). my mother gave me an angel -- a photo of which I attach here.  On the reverse, she wrote, "With love and prayers that our Lord give his Angels charge over thee that all they comings and goings be blessed and happy."

This angel has been rained upon and packed and unpacked and crimped and kissed -- and she somehow just becomes more beautiful.  So, I'm sharing her with your now, D. -- along with a a blessing of my own.

May God give his Angels fierce charge over thee, Duncan, that all they comings and goings be blessed, courageous, and true.

I love you always,

M


No comments:

Post a Comment