My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, August 14, 2023

An Open Letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray

To FBI Director Christopher Wray:

I am informed that the FBI is now coercing my youngest son's girlfriend, Mary Grinnell, into filing false witness statements against him.  Ms. Grinnell shares a residence with my youngest son in San Francisco, and her words, although coerced through inexcusable threats by FBI agent Txx Lxxxx, carry weight because of her daily proximity to him.  Mr. Lxxxx' actions, and your own authorization of those actions, I am told, are intended as direct retaliation for my standing as a whistleblower of the FBI's malfeasance in the form of the agency's perpetration of knowingly falsified law enforcement reporting against law-abiding American citizens.

Allegedly, you have now tasked agency personnel with developing a doubly false narrative designed to implicate both my law-abiding husband and my law-abiding son.  I am told your "best people" have worked on AI-generated films of both of them making "contact" with nefarious third parties in order for Txx Lxxxx to allege "espionage," "terroristic activity" or both.  Their fictional "contacts" are said to be Chinese and Korean, with perhaps a Russian or two thrown in for good measure.  And, in an added flourish, the FBI is said to have collected strands of my loved ones' hair for DNA "placement" at various scenes of your creation.

Do I figure in this film script at all?  What is my role?  Ingenue?  Sophisticate?  Cynic?  True believer?

Is it a large role?  Is it a speaking part?  Is there a cliff-hanger?  Will the audience be spellbound?

Mr. Wray, I respectfully suggest to you that the lives of law-abiding American citizens are not episodes of "FBI,"  "FBI: Most Wanted," or "FBI International," on CBS.  You may have fancied yourself the perfect script doctor for the wayward lives of the criminals Dick Wolf depicts in those series -- and I'm sure you're a serviceable reader, sir.

But in the real world, where many Americans still value the truth, the Constitution, and the rule of law -- I'm afraid you are woefully unsuited to your task, sir.

FBI affiliates have informed me that I need to write endless affidavits over the coming hours, since the FBI's planned arrest of my family members is scheduled to occur in the early morning hours of Tuesday or Wednesday, during a violent home invasion that involves my tragic demise, so I hear.  (Apparently, your "best people" have already prepared a film clip of someone with my own likeness wielding a weapon in confrontation with your FBI agents.)

Sir, I am a peaceable person.  I am not going to be wielding a weapon if the FBI unjustifiably breaks down my doors at 4:00 AM.  Nor will my family members, because they are peaceable people, too.

Nor am I going to be tasking my family members with notarizing endless affidavits over the next few hours, contesting all the false claims of which we need to guess the specifics.

No.  My husband and I have responded to the predatory actions of the far right within your agency for years in that manner -- and it has not yet led to your public accountability.

We've tried to leap and jump and do double-back handsprings according to the corrupt claims of Txx Lxxxx and his criminal associates in Russian-affiliated organized crime.  And we're done with the gymnastics, frankly.

We've given America by your rules a thorough try.  I'm not impressed.

Now, let's give America by my rules a try.

In my America, you as FBI Director are responsible for acknowledging both the successes and the failures of your personnel.  That means that, when FBI Counterintelligence agents like Txx Lxxxx are lying about the law-abiding American public (my family foremost among them) and a whistleblower like me brings these crimes into public view, you must accept full responsibility for the false claims with which your agency has implicated the innocent.

Full responsibility.

That means apologizing, sir.  Not doubling down.

It has recently been suggested to me that I could profitably contact a lawyer of my choosing who would negotiate a limitless settlement with the FBI in return for my silence over the FBI's malfeasance of falsified law enforcement reporting and related crimes committed against a virtuous public.

Mr. Wray, perhaps this suggestion constitutes your apology to my family.

Sir, whatever a "limitless settlement" means in your world, the dollars are woefully insufficient.

May I tell you why?

Because I am asking for something much more than financial remuneration on behalf of the American people.  I am asking for you to explain to us why FBI Counterintelligence has embarked on a broad-scale program of falsified law enforcement reporting for anti-democratic objectives, and I am asking for that explanation now.  Not ten years from now.  Now.

Why is that timing important, Mr. Wray?

It is critical, because the FBI, in collusion with a foreign adversary, attempted to alter the outcome of the last Presidential election, in 2020.

It is pressing, because the FBI, in further collusion with a foreign adversary, is preparing to try it again in 2024.

Our democracy may not survive the next attempt the FBI makes to render us a de facto autocracy, sir.

So the truth needs to emerge before then.

Accordingly, sir, I would make this lawful and peaceable request of you.

Do not send local or federal law enforcement personnel to my family members' door or my own unless you have first obtained the full permission and consent of the Office of the Inspector General Hotline of the U. S. Department of Justice, the Honorable Avril Haines of ODNI, and President Biden.

Barring the consent of those three august leaders, the presence of FBI, SWAT Team, Special Forces, or Sheriff's Office personnel on the property of one of my family members or myself is tantamount to witness intimidation and constitutes obstruction of justice or worse.

And I'm sure you would not want your tenure at the FBI to be marred by those claims of corruption, Mr. Wray.

Certainly, you would wish to be viewed by the American people as worthy of their respect.

Mr. Wray, I'm going to tell you a secret.

Every FBI agent who works for you wishes to be viewed by the American people as worthy of their respect.

But the FBI cannot be falsely accusing whistleblowers and their family members of wrongdoing if they wish that respect to be duly earned.

Txx Lxxxx cannot be paying pre-arranged "witnesses" at a weekend business outing to falsely allege my loved ones committed a serious crime if the FBI wishes the respect of the public to be duly earned.

Nor can he be threatening the career, health and life of Mary Grinnell to coerce lies about my faithful and law-abiding son if the FBI wishes the respect of the public to be duly earned.

Life is not a television show, Mr. Wray, although I'm sure the plot twists of FBI International are compelling, indeed.

In real life, Americans of integrity are not lying about others for personal gain.

In real life, Americans of conscience are not harming one another in return for "making the quota" within the Phoenix Program.

In real life, Americans of character are standing by the truth, even when they are being assailed from every quarter for their courage and their steadfastness in doing so.

In real life, Americans of discernment are not taking the payoff in return for their silence about the corruption of the FBI's "target of interest" program.

In real life, Americans of  substance are strong, resilient, determined, honest, faithful, loyal, articulate, compassionate, and engaged.

In real life, Americans of bravery care more about the future of democracy than they care about their own personal safety -- although safety should certainly be extended to them, and to their families as well.

In real life, Americans of goodwill would never tear apart loving families for entertainment and profit, according to a "psyops" protocol.

In real life, Americans of fortitude would reject outright the credo of "disrupt, discredit, and divide," currently embraced by your own Counterintelligence Division.

Mr. Wray, not everyone can be this kind of real-life American.

But I am.

And sir, I am asking you to gather every ounce of courage, patriotism, and integrity you can muster in my request that you stand beside me to insist on the truth of this matter.

My family's gratuitous suffering will not erase the falsified law enforcement reporting in which your agency has systematically engaged over time.

That day is done.

Only courage in truth telling will serve you, Mr. Wray, if courage is yours to wield.

Sincerely yours,




Lane MacWilliams

***********************************************************************************

The FBI is a deeply divided agency.  There are many FBI employees who view their vows to the Constitution with the utmost seriousness and honor, and who strive to defend the fundamentals of our democracy with courage, fortitude and commitment.  The fact that some segments of the FBI appear to have embraced a lawless course is not a justification to assail the FBI in general.  As President Joseph R. Biden has so rightly expressed, violence is never justified in any circumstance.  The rule of law must always be honored and upheld.  It is our shared determination to preserve the civil liberties and human rights of all Americans that renders the United States a democracy.  We must never abandon this promise.  All of our most cherished freedoms depend upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment