My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Friday, June 23, 2023

The Right to Know: Reflections on the FBI's Unconstitutional Denial of Medical Care to the Son of an FBI Whistleblower

OIG Hotline, please be advised that this is a partial transcript of my dialogue with Dr. Christopher Campbell in advocating for my son in the O'Connor Hospital ER yesterday evening at 7:45 PM.

Dr. Campbell, at the alleged instruction of FBI Agent Txx Lxxxx, declined to order an ultrasound exam for my son, despite his increasing abdominal pain and resultant disability.

********************************

Dr. Christopher Campbell:  We have a difference of opinion.

Lane MacWilliams:  I want to know, Dr. Christopher Campbell, if you are accepting liability for turning my son away from an ultrasound given the very real concerns we have of his alveolar schistosomiasis today, June 22, 2023.

Dr. Christopher Campbell:  I'm not going to answer that question.

Lane MacWilliams:  If you turn us away without that exam today, you are accepting liability for missing that diagnosis.  If he later is shown to have that diagnosis, and you turned him away, given our very real reasons for concern over this issue, you are accepting liability in this matter.

Dr. Christopher Campbell:  I don't agree with the conditions that you're setting forth.  I think further discussion is going to be problematic.  (to Graham) I'm letting you know that I told you your results.  I'm going to help you reach out to a new primary care doctor.  I think that you are safe to pursue an outpatient gallbladder and liver ultrasound.  Your testing, so far, does not justify that testing,

Graham MacWilliams:  So, could you recommend someone?

Dr. Christopher Campbell:  Yeah.

Graham MacWilliams:  Ok.

***********************************

Commentary:

What is my perspective on Dr. Christopher Campbell's actions in the ER?

It's not merely that he failed to fulfill his duty of care toward an obviously suffering patient in declining to provide my son Graham with an ultrasound.  It's also that he was accepting compensation from Infragard to do so.  To falsely report about a suffering patient and his advocate in such a manner as to endanger their lives -- these acts represent unconscionable violations of patient trust.

Why do I believe that Dr. Christopher Campbell, and possibly other O'Connor Hospital staff, filed false witness statements with not only the FBI but with local law enforcement authorities at Txx Lxxxx' directive?

Because, when my son and I left O'Connor Hospital yesterday evening, we were "accompanied" by San Mateo County Sheriff's Office personnel all the way home.

It's worth noting that O'Connor Hospital is in Santa Clara County.

I can attest that Graham, although unable to eat, in constant pain, and jaundiced, was courteous, rational, and respectful toward O'Connor Hospital staff in every setting.

The attempt to mischaracterize him as irrational or threatening in any manner yesterday stands as a deeply cynical ploy by a far right FBI employee seeking to deflect blame for his own crimes of aggression.

One must pause for a moment to ask what is so dangerous about an ultrasound of my son's liver, gallbladder and kidneys?  What would this show that would represent such an indictment of far right FBI personnel?  Cystic features consistent with alveolar schistosomiasis, a diagnosis nearly unheard of within human beings in North America?

I suspect that the truth of my son's medical condition represents such a thorough indictment of far right factions of the FBI that the agency is striving for his true diagnosis to remain suppressed under all circumstances -- even though that concealment is tantamount to a death sentence for my son.

Yet, should my son have to pay with his life for the corruption of the far right?

As egregious as the ethical failures of Dr. Christopher Campbell were last night, he is yet another pawn in the hands of far right FBI personnel, to be directed in his words and actions by those on the far right for whom first-degree murder likely represents just another day at the office.

As for Graham, the refusal to render care to him on the part of Dr. Christopher Campbell last night, the UCSF emergency room's failure to render care to him the night before, and El Camino Hospital's failure to acknowledge his medical condition during his hospitalization from June 10th - June 13th, has left him with the determination never again to ask for urgent medical care, no matter his pain, no matter his suffering, no matter the consequences of medical neglect.

He is, I believe, relinquishing hope that medical personnel can extend conscientious, ethical, truthful assistance.

Given Txx Lxxxx' crime of exposing my son to alveolar schistosomiasis in the first place, how is the FBI's obstruction of my son's care now justifiable?

The idea that far right factions of the FBI are placing themselves in a position to choose which Americans may live and which Americans will die is not, I believe, a circumstance that most of the electorate would be willing to accept.

But we should test that belief by asking them.

In the meantime, we should consider what role the FBI should play in communicating with the physicians of American citizens. Advisory?  Instructive?  Dictatorial?  

Should the far right within the FBI be extending false diagnoses, even while it renders American citizens ill?  

Should the far right within the FBI be attempting to cover up those crimes by further false reporting it directs physicians to perpetrate?

Should the the far right within the FBI determine who is worthy of medical care and who is to be denied that access?

Should the far right within the FBI possess the right to kill the son of an FBI whistleblower in direct retaliation for her ethical stance in defense of the civil liberties and human rights of all Americans?

If my son is dying because of the alveolar schistosomiasis Txx Lxxxx exposed him to, doesn't he have the right to know?

Isn't my son deserving of compassionate care if his life has been unconscionably taken from him by a compromised far right which is preying upon law-abiding Americans?

If the far right is allowed to commit these crimes against my family with impunity, what whistleblower will ever speak out again?

These questions represent a starting place for us in considering the FBI's responsibilities toward those Americans the agency has gratuitously and irrevocably harmed.

I hereby certify that the foregoing is true and correct.




Lane MacWilliams

***********************************************************************************

The FBI is a deeply divided agency.  There are many FBI employees who view their vows to the Constitution with the utmost seriousness and honor, and who strive to defend the fundamentals of our democracy with courage, fortitude and commitment.  The fact that some segments of the FBI appear to have embraced a lawless course is not a justification to assail the FBI in general.  As President Joseph R. Biden has so rightly expressed, violence is never justified in any circumstance.  The rule of law must always be honored and upheld.  It is our shared determination to preserve the civil liberties and human rights of all Americans that renders the United States a democracy.  We must never abandon this promise. All of our most cherished freedoms depend upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment