My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Friday, September 29, 2023

Communications with Microsoft Pertaining to Closure of Account

OIG Hotline, please be apprised that, after I marked my Microsoft account for closure today, September 29, 2023, the company informed me that my account will remain open for another 60 days at Microsoft's sole discretion, during which time I can change my mind.

It's not particularly clear to me whether Microsoft is playing a game with consumers in stating in an email sent on September 11, 2023 that its customers may avoid its new Terms of Use (and unfavorable new Privacy Policy) by closing accounts prior to September 30, 2023, while knowing that consumer accounts will remain technically open, by the choice of Microsoft alone, for an additional 60 days.

This does not, on the face of it, appear to represent good faith engagement between Microsoft and its consumers.

From Microsoft's September 11, 2023 email:



Here is Microsoft's surprising statement that my Microsoft account affiliated with lanemacwilliams@gmail.com will be closed on 11/28/2023.


The following page confirms that I have made no purchases of Microsoft products within the past 3 months:  




Has Microsoft effectively swept up everyone who has ever used a Microsoft product in this gambit involving a new Privacy Policy and new Terms of Use that are remarkably unfavorable to consumers' rights?

Due to what appears to be the company's intentional obfuscation of this matter, I sent the following email to Microsoft a few minutes ago, and submitted its content through Microsoft's online portal as well.  Hopefully, this will allow the OIG Hotline to gather all desired information from Microsoft over the next 60 days, after which all of my information should be deleted by this company.

Most sincerely,






Lane MacWilliams

************************************************************************************

Sent to:  msa@communication.microsoft.com. From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com. Date:  September 29, 2023 at 3:04 PM

Re:  Updates to our terms of use

To the management of Microsoft:

Out of a desire to avoid Microsoft's new Terms of Use and updated Privacy Policy, I closed my Microsoft account today, September 28, 2023, affiliated with lanemacwilliams@gmail.com.

Although Microsoft has stated that my account is now "Marked for Closure" and will be technically closed on 11/28/2023, I trust that all of my information will be kept private during the interim, in accordance with this email request, with one single exception.

I do grant peermission for the Office of the Inspector General Hotline of the U.S. Department of Justice to pursue any inquiries with Microsoft that they may wish to advance regarding my Microsoft account or purchases.

After the OIG Hotline has concluded all inquiries with Microsoft concerning my account, and ensuring that the OIG Hotline has confirmed in writing with Microsoft that all of their investigative needs for data and information are complete, Microsoft may delete all information connected to my name and/or identity in a data deletion request under the California Privacy Act.

Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.

Lane MacWilliams
***********************************************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment