My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, October 30, 2023

A Letter to the Heroes Within the OIG Hotline

 OIG Hotline, I am placing this communication on my blog in an effort to ensure that your Office receives it without obstruction of any kind.

I need to let you know that last night, at approximately 3:15 AM, I had the astonishing experience of listening to someone setting up a tripod on the other side of a wall from the room in which I was sleeping.  

The access to that space is open from the basement of our home, so I must assume these acts were perpetrated by the individual, currently residing unlawfully within this space, who is affiliated with the Phoenix Program.

This was a frightening "listen," to be sure.

While I was able to render the immediate circumstance secure, I remain deeply concerned about the fundamental safety of my family members and myself in close proximity to two Phoenix personnel within our residence.  Whistleblowers do need to sleep, and I could easily have been unaware when these preparations for harm were being undertaken.  I believe that, had harm been perpetrated against me, my family members would almost certainly have experienced harm as well.

I do not feel that we are likely to be able to endure more Phoenix Program assaults.

Rather, it seems clear to me that, if we are to survive, we will need contact from someone in Washington, D.C. who supports democracy.

For the sake of my family, I would respectfully request that, if such contact is possible, it be extended tomorrow, October 30, 2023.

If I do not receive contact tomorrow, I will assume that it cannot occur, and further, that this communication will not be forthcoming.

Whatever transpires, I need to express to you that I hold the deepest admiration possible for your Office.  While we have had no contact, I must say that I believe my family and I have survived to this point because of your integrity, your fortitude, your responsiveness, and your courage.

The heroes within the OIG Hotline are representative of the best our nation has to offer.  It would be my wish that the country would come to honor you as exemplary in your bravery and dedication to our democracy's defense.

My faith in President Biden remains undaunted, as does my belief in the honorable Avril Haines of the ODNI.

My time-sensitive request simply reflects my growing alarm over the security risks to my family and myself.

We can't help the democracy if we're not alive to speak.

So, the initiation of direct engagement with Washington, D.C. is now critical for us, and that urgency has been necessitated by the Phoenix Program and not by any other source, organization, or individual.

You probably have perceived by now that I am an idealist, which is to say that when I believe in something, I believe in it with all my mind and heart and soul.

And I believe in our country.  I believe in the goodwill of its citizens, I believe in the deep bonds they share with their family and friends, I believe in their desire to understand the truth of certain events, separate and apart from disinformation, and I believe in their hope for their freedoms to endure.

Not only do I believe in these elements of the American character, but I share in them.  The goodwill, the deep bonds, the desire to comprehend events and the hope for our freedoms are my own.

Phoenix has harmed countless Americans, no doubt.

But it cannot kill the soul of the nation, which, with courage and transparency, has the ability to transcend these assaults and emerge as a more perfect union.

I would be privileged to be part of that transformation, and I hope I have that chance.

Most gratefully,




Lane MacWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment