My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The Freedom of One

OIG Hotline, on Sunday, in response to a Democratic survey, I found myself writing the words:  To whom does a man belong?  On whose ledger does his soul appear?

In many ways, these are the critical questions within the perils of "surveillance capitalism" as it has been defined by perceptive author Shoshana Zuboff.  Ms. Zuboff describes this "usurpation of the people's sovereignty" as a "coup from above," and therefore, one which the public is particularly ill-equipped to prevent.

Yet, enlightening the public to the perils of surveillance capitalism is not impossible.

And if we are to effectively do so, we must demonstrate that, from within the bonds of this particular enslavement of the law-abiding public, it is, however rare, possible to break free.

If one person can demonstrate that she is law-abiding and thus deserving of her full and unobstructed right to privacy, then her freedom can serve to free many others in turn.

Toward this worthy goal, I request that the FBI, the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, the Fusion Centers involved in this matter, and any and all other law enforcement entities, together with their contractors and affiliates, accede to my expressed right  -- and that of my family members -- to become free of the surveillance that has been so wrongfully imposed upon us.

When one receives daily threats of sniper assault from one to two miles distant between Portola Valley and Skyline Drive, one realizes how critical freedom from surveillance within one's own residence is.

Totalitarian surveillance is never benign, and this is something the public must realize.

To turn the lives of certain citizens into a Truman Show depicting their spousal intimacy, their language lessons, their yoga, their bath, their favorite Monday night meal -- is to allow predatory individuals to plan and effect tangible harms.

The "safety and happiness" of individuals within a democracy, so importantly described in the preamble to our Constitution are, in truth, dependent on the right to privacy -- on the right to sing off-key, to turn a cartwheel in the family room, to compose a new essay, to discuss the day's national news without fear of being mischaracterized, misquoted, defamed, mocked or maligned.

They are also dependent on the idea that no one should be aggregating metadata about our schedules, our locations, our "keywords" in speech, or creating AI-generated reproductions of our voice, our writing, or our likeness.

Accordingly, I respectfully request that, in light of my son's recorded admission of his falsified statements to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office last week, which were offered while under threat of death and for that reason only -- I and my family members be allowed to reclaim our lives free from surveillance and targeting by the far right within the FBI and its affiliates.

It is my intention that I may enjoy my freedom and safety in striving for the freedom and safety of others.

Please help me realize this worthy hope, which has sustained these long labors.

Most gratefully,




Lane MacWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment