My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Beyond Stoicism: Defending the Preventive Health Care Access of Other Americans

It is always challenging to acknowledge any sort of medical consult.  I was raised to be rather stunningly self-sufficient and resilient.  We worked with resolve, played with abandon, and "walked off" injuries with a certain stoicism that would have made John Wayne proud.  

The adults consulted doctors as little as possible, and the children even less.

So why have I decided to reveal apparent patient privacy and safety violations as being directed by the FBI toward Infragard's medical partners?

Mostly out of concern for the millions of "targets of interest" who may be experiencing compromise of their right to patient privacy and safe access to medical care.

In this pandemic era, President Biden has shown us how requisite it is to be proactive and intelligent with regard to preventive medical care.  His tremendous success in guiding America to vaccine availability has saved countless lives.

I am fundamentally hearty, vigorous, robust and resilient.

But I still need access to preventive medical care, like everyone.

When I do access that care, I want it to be private and safe, like everyone.

So, I'm engaging in a few uncomfortable revelations because I care about my fellow Americans more than I care about my personal desire to remain quiet and sheltered.

What I have learned over the past few years is that democracy depends on this very sort of big-hearted gesture -- on our insistence that the civil liberties and human rights of our neighbors matter as much as our own -- on our determination to stand up for one another with courage and fortitude and insight and generosity, and, yes, sometimes, self-disclosure.

My preventive health care matters a little.  The preventive health care of millions of Americans matters from sea to shining sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment