My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Friday, July 15, 2022

Thank You to President Biden, and More

 July 15, 2022

To the Office of the Inspector General Hotline, Investigations Division:

Sometimes, it is necessary to put down every seemingly compelling task you are urgently attending to -- and take the time to say thank you.

This is one of those times.

My family and I have so far survived a rather extraordinary ordeal because of some remarkable people who have believed in me.

President Joseph R. Biden stands foremost among those remarkable people.  Director Avril Haines of the ODNI stands among them.  A whole miraculous group of people within the Investigations Division at the the Office of the Inspector General Hotline of the U.S. DOJ stands among them.  Two true believers in the Office of Information Policy stand among them.  And many men and women of abiding integrity within the FBI itself stand among them.

To our intrepid President Biden:  you are my hero. Your character, your honor, your fortitude, and your courage outshine those of any leader I have had the privilege to hear of in the course of my lifetime -- and, I daresay, shine brilliantly in the sweep of history as a whole.

I hope I might have the chance to reveal the truth of your leadership to the American people.  They need to grasp it, Mr. President.  They need to know how fortunate they are -- just as I know how fortunate I am -- that you, and none other, are standing in sure and heroic defense of our democracy.

To everyone mentioned above:  enormous bunches of flowers.  Roses in abundance.  And double peonies. Star lilies.  And blue delphinium.  Lavish blooms filling up your offices and spilling out the door.

Thank you for your advocacy.  Your courage.  Your kindness.  Your belief.

Your faith in me has been well-placed.

I will not let you down.

Most sincerely,

Lane MacWilliams

The above letter was sent to the Office of the Inspector General Hotline of the U.S. Department of Justice in care of the OIP from lmacwilliams7417@gmail.com at 11:48 a.m. Pacific time, and to selected recipients within the OIP at 11:49 a.m. Pacific time, with copies forwarded to lanemacwilliams@gmail.com and lmacwilliams77419@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment