My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A Letter to My Sons: Hold the Line, My Beloved Young Men

Boys, I need to write to you this evening to tell you that I hope you have found a way to disclose the truth to OIG Hotline investigators.  If, beyond this, you can write down your experiences with names and dates and as much detail as you can possibly include -- and seal this writing in a manila envelope to convey in person to your father, who will in turn give it to me, I will keep it safe, only to be opened under the conditions you delineate.

I will in all ways respect your wishes in this regard.  

And you can add to your account over time, so that you are not required to place everything in a single installment.  If you remember important incidents or events later on, or if new information becomes important, just create a new envelope and convey it to your father and/or me as well.

This action gives you so much power over your own choices and your own lives going forward.

It allows you to recover your sovereignty, your force of will, your ability to say no to those who would co-opt your words and actions.  It allows you to decline any actions that contradict your own personal ethics and benevolence.  And it allows you to insist that your health be restored to you on an immediate basis, without any additional harms being conveyed.

You should not be suffering from psoriasis plaques, heart pain, hair loss, neuropathy, kidney pain, liver pain, upper GI pain, lower GI pain, lung pain, a burning throat, a raspy voice, joint deterioration, a painful thyroid, headaches or head pressure, dizziness, memory loss, cognitive decline, fever, vision or hearing loss or any other symptoms of illness, infection, or infirmity.  If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, insist that you be rendered fully well, please.  Beyond this, you should feel like yourselves, like your own true personalities, without unfamiliar flashes of temper, depression, addictive behavior or impulsivity.  You should be YOU!

You should always reject false choices presented to you in which others convey that you must harm someone in order to ensure your own well-being.  

This is never the case, as long as you have written down your experiences and conveyed them within sealed envelopes into my keeping.

You both are strong enough, and I believe that MX is strong enough as well, to take charge of this situation through your courage, your benevolence and your integrity.  

I am here for you, and I will not fail you.

Know that always, and count on it.

If people criticize you for having a parent who is helping you navigate these shoals, just answer them by saying that, facing totalitarian systems, everyone needs an advocate to support them.

I am yours, and I am proud to be so.

Hold the line, my beloved young men.

I stand with you.

I love you very dearly, which I believe you know,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment