My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, August 29, 2022

The Coast Guard Contacts Lane MacWilliams Regarding FOIA

I have great affection for the Coast Guard.  I think it's a branch of service filled with heroes and truth-tellers.  One doesn't survive long at sea with prevarication.  Rather, as a sailor, my father taught me that one must always respect the power of the ocean and recognize the truth -- especially the difficult truth -- of one's vessel traveling through the wider world.

That said, my stalker has made clear to me that the Privacy Office within the USCG is within his control.

As a result, I am uncomfortable with the email communication I received from the Coast Guard Privacy Office this morning.  I include the text of this email below, an original copy of which has been faxed to the OIG Hotline. JPEGs of the emails are included herewith as well.

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2022 at 9:05 a.m.                                                                                               From: no-reply.efoia.uscg@dhs.gov                                                                                                              To: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com

Re: Your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request 2021-CGFO-01495

Dear Lane MacWilliams:

This letter pertains to your May 16, 2021 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) for a copy of records that were prepared, received, transmitted, collected, and/or maintained by the Coast Guard pertaining to San Mateo County, California Sheriff's Office Case Reports #19-11840 & #20-02355.  Your request was received in this office on November 03, 2021.

Due to the increasing number of FOIA requests received by this office, we encountered some delay in processing your request.  We sincerely apologize for the delay and any inconveniences it may have caused.  However, we want to let you know that we have been making earnest and diligent efforts to reduce the backlog of cases, and that your file is scheduled to be reviewed in the near future.

Before we begin the time-consuming review process, we want to ensure that you are still interested in continuing the process of this request.  Please indicate your continued interest in pursuing these records within 30 days from the date of this email, or we will assume you are no longer interested in this FOIA request, and the case will be administratively closed.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please refer to 2021-CGFO-01495.  We can be reached at 202-475-3522 or by email at EFOIA@uscg.mil.

Sincerely,

Office of Privacy Management

CG-6P/FOIA



************************************************************************************

My response to the Privacy Office of the USCG follows herewith:

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.                                                                                          From: lanemacwilliams@gmail.com                                                                                                             To: EFOIA@uscg.mil

Re: FOIA Request 2021-CGFO-01495

Dear Office of Privacy Management:

My May 16, 2021 FOIA request included San Mateo County, CA Sheriff's Office Case Reports #19-11840 and #20-02355, however the request specified that I was requesting a copy of ALL records that were prepared, received, transmitted, collected, and/or maintained by the Coast Guard.

Your Office's delay in providing these records has been extraordinary, and there can be no question about the concerns this raises.

Specifically, there is an allegation that the FBI has been engaging in knowingly falsified law enforcement reporting as part of the Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative and the FBI's affiliated "target of interest" program.  Furthermore, there is an allegation that materials responsive to my FOIA request prove this malfeasance.

At this time, my FOIA request has been sent to the Honorable Avril Haines, Director of ODNI.  I trust the fulfillment of my request to her leadership.

As a result, you may consider my FOIA request to the Privacy Office of the USCG to be withdrawn at this time.

Thank you for your followup,

Lane MacWilliams





No comments:

Post a Comment