My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Monday, August 1, 2022

Words That I, as an Honorable American Citizen, Long to Hear

 "I am sorry for the criminal acts you have endured on the part of the FBI.  This agency's unwarranted predation toward you and your family is indefensible.  As an American citizen, you have rights under the Constitution.  The FBI has egregiously violated those rights.  I am calling you, because I intend to help you reclaim them as your own. Please allow me to give you my name, my email and my phone number.  You are to call upon me at any time of the day or night for help and support.  I personally will be fulfilling your Freedom of Information Act request, and your husband's as well.  This afternoon, when I place your materials in the mail, I will call you back with the tracking number.  You will have all materials in your hands tomorrow morning, after which I would like to speak with you again.  We have disallowed redactions and omissions to the reports, despite repeated entreaties by FBI leadership.  I believe you will find the contents of these reports to constitute a shock.  We do not intend that you should endure that shock without our support.  Please know that, because you have communicated so valiantly and heroically and tirelessly over this issue, we believe your report carries with it the possibility of illuminating the full extent of falsified law enforcement reporting that has been  rendered part of the Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative and the FBI's affiliated 'target of interest' program as well.  While it is undeniably dangerous to tell the truth about those within the FBI who have decided to prey upon the law-abiding American public in this manner, you do not stand alone.  We intend to support you fully in this process.  Again, I am deeply sorry for what you have had to endure.  But I believe that your suffering may serve a greater purpose in defending our democracy, if you are willing to illuminate the truth of this matter for the public.  Please understand that we recognize your fortitude, your character and your Grace in the face of gratuitous attacks by criminal members of the far right.  We believe that together we can use the knowledge of these abuses to defend and uphold the Constitutional rights of all Americans who may be suffering from the FBI's willful violation of them.  Will you work with us?"

No comments:

Post a Comment