My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Friday, April 21, 2023

Successful Cancellation of Amazon Order

OIG Hotline, this is to document my cancellation of my Amazon order of a "tire thumper," which is a hickory stick intended to check a vehicle's tire pressure.

Why did I order this item in the first place?  Because the tire pressure monitoring system within my Buick appears to have been disabled while my car was parked in my driveway approximately one month ago.  The dash display began suggesting that I have this system serviced, as it was no longer functioning.

I was concerned that this system may have been sabotaged -- a worry which seems possible given the other harms to the car which were perpetrated while it was parked in the same location, well off the street, on a private section of my driveway that would require a trespass of approximately 50 sloped feet for access.

Strangely, the "tire thumper" was automatically suggested in my Amazon feed.

I never mentioned the issue with the tire pressure monitoring system to my husband or anyone else, and I never searched for tire gauges.  So how Amazon knew that my car's tire pressure was a concern remains a mystery.

I ordered the item earlier today, thinking it could represent reassurance that my tires were fully inflated.

However, after doing so, it occurred to me that the "tire thumper" could be viewed as a weapon by corrupt law enforcement officers during a traffic stop.  Even if it were located in the trunk of the vehicle, it could later be used as justification for police aggression.  If located in my home, police could falsely claim being threatened as well.  In addition to this, any man of moderate strength could easily wield such an item against me, with disastrous results.

Fortunately, the cancellation of this item was immediate and uneventful.

For the record, I do not travel with tools of violent potential in my vehicle.

I am not a violent person, as my commitment is to the rule of law.

I hereby certify that the foregoing is true and correct.




Lane MacWilliams

*************************************************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment