My Third Novel's Conclusion, My Heartbreak

My heart begins to break when I think about completing this particular book -- because this narrative has sustained me like no other story I've known. It's both more personal and more universal than my other works. But beyond memory and archetype, it's a cri-de-coeur about needing to become the person one is destined to be. And in the writing, I have met my own life's work, my own fated journey -- having the sense all the while that the pages are suffused with a resonance, an energy, an electrified field that defies explanation. Writers hope and pray to be overtaken by a work in this way -- to be conscripted into passionate service of a profound story. To experience it even once in a lifetime seems a great privilege. I still have several months before this novel is complete, and this constitutes my reprieve. Because I'm not ready for the beauty to end.




Sunday, April 2, 2023

When the FBI Co-opts a Notary Public

 OIG Hotline, please be aware that my husband and I have faxed two sets of documents to your Office this evening, totaling 58 pages with cover sheets, including one letter and seven notarized affidavits.

Six of these documents were notarized by Notary Public Sonia Agarwal of Santa Clara County, Commission Number 2329826.

Ms. Agarwal attempted to convince my husband and me not to formally notarize documents upon our arrival at her home this afternoon.  While she had no notion from me of the destination of the documents, she made the statement, "If these documents are going to someone like the Secretary of State, that Office will not accept traditional notarization."  She attempted to convince us to arrange for an alternate type of documentation, which we rejected.

I found her behavior to be highly unusual.

Ms. Agarwal utilized her cell phone as a recording device throughout our interaction.

She seemed intent on obtaining dark and clear thumbprints from both of us -- to a degree I have not witnessed in other notaries.

At the conclusion of her notarization process, Ms. Agarwal declined to sign a form summarizing our interaction, the content of which she agreed to in our discussion described below.

Ms. Agarwal acknowledged verbally to both of us that our interaction was respectful and professional at all times.  She acknowledged that it was logical and cogent at all times, that we upheld honorable and lawful conduct in all respects, and that nothing she witnessed indicated that we are or could be involved in any unlawful activity whatsoever.

She agreed not to make any statements to third parties that contradicted her truthful impressions described above.

She confirmed that her statements were true, correct, and complete.

I possess full documentation of Ms. Agarwal's attestations, all of which can be made available to OIG Hotline investigators upon request.

I hereby certify that the foregoing is true and correct.

Lane MacWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment